Hey! Hugh here!!! There’s been cool stuff going on and SO MUCH GOOD SHIT PLANNED
- Will Robichaud (Willow) released their first record Enceladus ! It’s beautiful ambient guitar work that will put you in a lovely mood, they also released an album of collected sounds called lost tracks that I highly recommend!
- Clover Koval also released her first solo record entitled Mountains and Marzipan and it’s absolutely gorgeous shoegaze/folk rock
- Concord punks Crime People also released their new EP! It’s sick!
- Corey Ames also released his new weirdo folk album Living With Monsters! He’s moving to Providence RI but will always have a place here.
- Nick Owen played a show with Final Girl, Covey, and Pondering at the Democracy Center on the 19th as a benefit for the Lucy Parsons center.
- Corey Ames is playing RIPFEST in Newton on the 25th with a bunch of amazing bands!!
- That same night Edge Petal Burn (featuring Nick Owen on bass) is playing their EP release show at the Democracy Center and real emos will go 2 both shows that night.
- Kids Luv Cops is back!!!! We have a new EP in the works and more shows than this planned!!! We’re gonna have a great time this summer! The show on the 26th is the final Boy Blunder Show and we’re playing with Roseate. The show on the 12th is with Ice Cream Orphan, The Hemlocks, and Rasputin. Burning Cam has more bands than I can count but we’re playing with our buds The Last Great Kings again!
- Crime People is playing their EP release show on the 27th of May in Concord with help from shoegaze duo Trashcan Businessman, post-hardcore artist Nick Owen, and skram punks Razorwire Bouquet.
- May 31st, Corey Ames, Clover Koval, and Annie Selle are playing at Nashoba Brook Bakery!
- June 1st there is a going away show for the seniors at WIQH!!!!! Nick, Iris, Annie, McKenna, Thomas, and Chloe
Hey!!! Hugh here! I’m not in Concord right now but I wanted to keep this blog up while everyone is super busy with school so here’s some basic shit that’s been going on! It’s very out of order! I’m not in Concord anymore so I don’t know a lot of details!
- Nick Owen went on a lil tour in early April with his band Edge Petal Burn from the Boston area! They played Concord, NY, and Philly. They’ve also been playing a bunch of other shows around (like API Fest and RH Fest) so follow them and catch em whenever you can!
- On their Concord date, they were joined by new Concord punk outfit Cranium Leak (Razorwire Bouquet), Clover Koval, and Trashcan Businessman.
- Nick’s also been playing a bunch of shows around with his solo project and those have been very cool I’m sure! Nick went on tour in early December for weekend, it was cut short because his drummer fell ill after their Brooklyn date.
- For that Concord date he was joined by Clover Koval, Trashcan Businessman, and Crime People. This date was a fundraiser for Appendix cancer research.
- iqhFEST 2018 Happened! Check the videos here:
- Kids Luv Cops played a bunch of shows in December/January while they were on break! The Lindsay’s birthday one was cancelled and the Owen’s dorm date was not real. They had a blast.
- For this Concord date, The Genie Shrimptons, Iris, Clover Koval, Crime People, and Boxed Water played at Sandro’s. Good times.
- Crime People played at Shed Cellar in Allston with Maggie Rosenberg, Max, Dump Him (Nick dropped from the bill).
- I had a show at my house that was acoustic except for Spirittown. Listen to Annie’s, Coreys, and Spirittown’s sets on https://punkatassetrecords.bandcamp.com/artists
- WIQH Open Mic February 2nd that helped raise money for Appendix cancer research. https://www.facebook.com/events/404599739975092/
- Will had open mic at his house on March 17th
UHHHH also ANNIE SELLE, CLOVER KOVAL, CRIME PEOPLE, BOXED WATER, AND WILL ROBICHAUD ARE ALL RELEASING EP’S VERY SOON STAY UPDATED STAY FROSTY
That’s all for now! Sorry this is rushed and not well written or organized I just wanted to keep this up.
Hey! It’s been a while! Maybe you’re wondering where I’ve been. Maybe you’re not because you’re my friend/family member and that’s why you’re reading my blogposts. Either way, I’m going to give you an update.
Senior year caught up to me, as it does, and now everything is beginning to slow down. While I’ve been making the final writing touches and finishing the recordings of my solo album (that feels as though it will never be finished), I’ve also been writing a lot of other stuff with my friends in my indie-folk experimental duo “The Lulas” with Annie Selle, as well as with my ambient group “SpiritTown.” I’ve had a lot of tough shit going on in my personal life, therefore I am extremely grateful for my friends and how everything musically that I’m working on right now is bringing me so much joy. My friends give me constant inspiration and refuel my motivation, even when times get tough and I get stuck in my self-inflicted writer’s block.
I’ve also been swamped with prepping for the fifth annual IQH Fest, which I have had the honor of organizing and putting together this year. I am so insanely excited for this event, as it is my baby and is certainly the most musically diverse IQH Fest we have seen. It’s been a long process to put it together, but it’s finally about to happen on March 3rd at CCHS! I better see you Concord DIY assholes there 😉
In terms of what I’ve been listening to, here are four albums/artists I can’t stop popping in my ears:
1. KING GIZZARD AND THE LIZARD WIZARD: FLOAT ALONG – FILL YOUR LUNGS
If you know me and how I rotate listening to every album this band has ever put out, you’re probably thinking “what else is new?” However, a couple months ago this album became unreachable on Spotify. The Gizz Gods have granted us with this gift once again, and its over-the-top lofi feel is everything I need to keep me feeling positive and chill. It has a couple of my all time favorite songs of theirs, including “Pop in My Step” which is an obnoxiously happy and lovely song in the absolute most perfect way.
2. BLACK BEACH
I’ve been a fan of this group since I first saw them at a show two years ago, yet I only recently started listening to them consistently again. I can easily fall in love with tight noise-rock, and their grungey and heavy feel is stunning. I was lucky enough to catch them at the Democracy Center in Cambridge on Friday, February 23rd and I picked up the 45 of this sick EP:
3. CAM PULASKI: I HAVE ATHLETES IN MY CLOSET
This new lil EP is sick. I first saw Cam when they performed as Ice Cream Orphan at a house show in Tewksbury that the Kids Luv Cops crew and I rolled into (back in the sunny, stunning summertime…ahhhhh). From listening to ten seconds of any song off this EP or any Ice Cream Orphan song, you will be able to tell immediately just how talented Cam is as a song writer. The riffs, the tones, the lyrics, the melodies, all click together flawlessly and create a piece of art that makes you want to bob your head up and down and skip around in circles or something.
4. SZA- CTRL
I usually don’t dive too far into this genre, however SZA has stolen my heart and the airtime on my radio show. I know I’m a bit late to the game, but I had no initial inclination to listen to her until I watched the viral video for “Supermodel” when it showed up on the Youtube homepage, heard her and immediately loved it. While there are maybe a couple songs on this album that are not fully my cup of kombucha (don’t hate me, fuckers), the ones in which she mixes her artistic and poetic verses with gentle guitar progressions are perfection.
Thanks for checking in pals! I’ll have a cheeky scene update for you soon 🙂
Annie Selle is an indie folk artist with a really awesome idiosyncratic style! She doesn’t have anything recorded yet but very well might be the first person to release an LP in the Concord scene. She reminds me of Leah Senior but a little weirder, she’s also the best. She’s been active since late 2016.
Annie also plays in “The Lulas”, a duo with Clover Koval.
Alix Kaplan is a drummer-percussionist-multi-instrumentalist who cut her teeth playing in most every band that’s graced a stage or basement in Concord (4 Whale Drive, Nick Owen, Waf, Fruitloop Daydream, Nia & Friends/The Buddies, Breakdown Lane, Mushroom Death Suit, the list goes on). Her solo project is experimental indie rock, and it’s weird and mad fucking cool. She’s been playing in bands since early 2015.
Link to the Split: https://hughschmidt.bandcamp.com/album/utilize-coyotes-in-my-neighborhood-split
Link to her soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/alixyo
Clover Koval is the solo project from guitarist/trumpet player/vocalist Chloe Koval, which has been active since late 2016. She plays weirdo folk/indie rock with shoegaze elements. She’s also the guitarist/vocalist in post-hardcore band Sarcasm, and multi-instrumentalist in Waf.
Check her music on soundcloud and bandcamp:
Waf was an experimental rock duo made up of Alix Kaplan and Chloe Koval, active from spring – fall 2016.
Chloe Koval, Alix Kaplan
- Alix Kaplan, drums, bass, guitar, theremin (Spring – Fall 2016)
- Chloe Koval, guitar, vocals, (Spring – Fall 2016)
- Sophie Purinton, drums (September 30th)
Check it here: https://punkatassetrecords.bandcamp.com/track/orb
Alix Kaplan drummed with Nick Owen, Mushroom Death Suit, and has a solo experimental project. Chloe Koval plays guitar in SpiritTown, Sarcasm, and has a solo folky indie project.
Trashcan Businessman is a dreampop/shoegaze duo made up of Will and Iris. They’re fucking great people and their music is beautiful. They’ve been active since early 2017.
Iris and Will
- Iris Johnson, vocals (March 2017 –
- Will Robichaud, guitar (March 2017 –
Check it out here: https://trashcanbusinessman.bandcamp.com/track/blackberries
Iris Johnson has a solo indie folk project. Will Robichaud is the current guitarist in SpiritTown.
Iris Johnson is an indie folk artist from Concord, MA who’s been active since fall of 2016. She also plays in dreampop duo Trashcan Businessman with Will Robichaud.
- Sleep Creature demo EP
- Keeps out the chill SINGLE
Check her Soundcloud here: https://soundcloud.com/iris-johnson-art
Here’s the bandcamp link to Sleep Creature: https://punkatassetrecords.bandcamp.com/album/sleep-creature
Hugh Schmidt is a punk musician whose solo projects explore black metal, chill synthwork, ambient, experimental, avant-garde metal, and hardcore. His solo project has been active since January 2016, and it left Concord in August 2017. He uses his name and “god bless gilgamesh” for his screamo/spoken word project.
- Hugh Schmidt, bass/guitar/synths/drums/vocals/glockenspiel
- flight to burma
- endeavoring to bring souls to jesus christ
- Bears Live Outside
- Utilize/Coyotes in My Neighborhood Split (Split with Alix Kaplan)
- god bless gilgamesh
- D-Sides & Scarcities
- xCONCORDx xHARDCOREx xANTHEMx
- We’re Sad and Listen to Loveless Every Night (Comp)
- Possums on My Front Porch I (full record coming soon)
Check it here: https://hughschmidt.bandcamp.com/
Hugh Schmidt plays bass/vocals in Kids Luv Cops and guitar in Tacoma, WA screamo band Blaschko’s Lines. He also played bass with Nick Owen for almost two years, in addition to playing bass in Pixie & The Dreamgirls, and briefly did vocals in SpiritTown.